Full moon parties are common in many parts of the world but the one that is held on the Kho Pha Ngan island in Thailand is the best known. As the name suggests, this is an electronic music fest held on full moon nights. The following are some important snippets about full-moon parties in Thailand:
- The tradition was started in 1985 on a small scale but now draws between 5,000-30,000 attendees every night.
- Revelries take place the whole night till sunrise next day.
- The music catered to on such nights includes psychedelic trance, reggae, drum & bass, house, dance and R & B.
- The consciousness among local people towards environmental safety and against hazards has increased greatly leading to patrol and regular cleanups on the mornings after full- moon parties.
- Visitors from across the world, especially developed countries, arrive for this event and so it is necessary that language and communication during such parties caters to all different uses.