What is ISO 17100:2015?
The ISO 17100:2015 is the latest internationally-recognised standard for companies working within the translation industry. It describes the essential requirements for processes, resources and other aspects involved in the delivery of a quality translation service. The ISO 17100:2015 standard applies the terminology used in the translation field by creating a standard structure for translation services.
ISO, the International Organization for Standardization, is a worldwide federation for setting standards that is composed of representatives from a variety of national standards organisations. Founded in 1947, the federation promotes proprietary, industrial and commercial standards in collaboration with international commissions and governmental and non-governmental organizations, with the purpose of setting internationally recognised references within certain sectors through the work carried out by technical committees.
How does it work?
ISO/TC37 is the technical committee which prepared ISO 17100:2015 by transferring the previous European standard, EN 15038, into the ISO framework to create a wider system that could be applied at an international level. Specifically, it defines:
– The resource types—including human resources such as translators, revisers, reviewers, proof-readers and project managers—as well as technical and technological resources;
– The types of revision, such as translator’s revision of their own work, revision done by a second linguist and external review in order to assess the suitability of the translation against the agreed purpose, domain and recommended corrected measures;
– Proofreading and final verification.
As highlighted above, the ISO 17100:2015 certification puts particular emphasis on the procedures involved in the check and revision of the translation, and on the importance of a few extra pairs of professional eyes during the process—revision, review, proofreading and final verification—to achieve the best possible quality before delivering to the client.
What are the benefits?
Being an internationally-recognized standard for quality, ISO 17100:2015 certification is one of the key factors clients should be looking for when seeking out a translation service provider. The benefits to the client of ISO 17100:2015 certification include:
– Increased confidence and reassurance given by the implementation of a recognised specialist standard;
– Assurance that the staff employed by the translation provider is appropriately qualified to undertake the task in a professional and effective manner, to the latest industry standard.
The ISO 17100:2015 certification also brings benefits to the translation providers and their staff, including:
– The ability to offer a quality service through a fully traceable system, ensuring that important work is not lost;
– The ability to compete for contracts that require a recognised management system and consequently increase the client base;
– The confidence to offer a translation service in keeping with the industry expectations;
– Ongoing professional development on the basis of the latest standards and technical requirements;
– Improved morale and motivation as employees follow defined processes and procedures that result in a quality and consistent service being provided;
– A sense of pride that comes from knowing that the company is applying innovative and forward thinking procedures.
Obtaining an ISO 17100:2015 certification is a process that can take between 6 and 8 weeks, during which the translation providers are thoroughly assessed to make sure that their procedures meet the requirements of the certification.
Through the application of such a standard in the translation industry, it is possible to monitor the quality of translations and ensure a high level of accuracy and consistency. This is particularly valued within fields such as medicine, pharmacology and chemistry, where the accuracy of the instructions can become a life-or-death issue. ISO 17100:2015 can therefore be considered a marker of what constitutes a high standard of quality for translation providers, as well as a guarantee of excellence for their clients.
Trusting an ISO 17100:2015 certified company like Braahmam with your business will have the effect of communicating to your customers that your company is keeping up to date to with the latest standard of the translation industry.
Reach out to us, and we will be happy to offer you our experience and expertise for all your projects and requests: email@example.com